The United States Air Force Academy admissions cycle serves applicants as they strive to become appointees. The process consists of pre-candidate and candidate phases. To get a general picture of important dates in the Academy’s annual admissions cycle, read below.
Note that when you first apply to the Academy, you are an “applicant” or “pre-candidate.” Pre-candidates who qualify are granted the status of “candidate.” Candidates who are accepted to the Academy are called “appointees.” If an appointee chooses to accept appointment, they become “cadets,” or students of the Academy.
- The Pre-Candidate Questionnaire opens for new applicants on March 1. Applicants may begin the pre-candidate process during the spring of their Junior year of high school.
- The majority of offers of appointment to the Academy will be made during this month for candidates who have completed all phases of the application process.
- In April, former cadets will be reviewed for reentry to the Academy in August. We review former cadets twice per year, once in April and once in November.
- Appointment offers will be made to international students during the month of April.
- Candidate Kit Instructions are emailed to students from whom the Pre-Candidate Questionnaires have been received, screened and approved.
- Congressional selections for nominations begin on September 1. Check with your nominator for deadlines.
- The Academy begins offering a portion of the total appointments to students who have completed all phases of the application process. Appointments will continue to be offered through June, with the majority being offered in March.
- From October 1 through January 31, letters of assurance are sent to students who will be offered an appointment but do not have nominations yet. The letter assures the students that they will be offered an appointment when the nomination is received.
- In November, former cadets will be reviewed for reentry to the Academy in January. We review former cadets twice per year, once in April and once in November.
- Deadline for submitting the Pre-Candidate Questionnaire online is December 31.
- Congressional representatives and other nominating entities submit nominations to the Academy between December 1 and January 31.
- All candidate kit related documents must be received by the Academy no later than January 31.
- Offers for enrollment in the Academy Preparatory School begin February 1 and end in early July.
- Falcon Foundation Scholarship offers begin February 1 and continue until mid-June or until all granted scholarships have been accepted.
Applying to the Academy requires dedication. Are you ready?